The Anoka-Champlin Fire Department is part of a joint powers fire district that shares fire services between the Cities of Anoka and Champlin. This agreement began in 1985 When the City of Champlin joined the already formed Anoka Fire Department. Today, the Fire Department is a combination department with both full-time and paid-on-call firefighters. The fire chief, assistant chief, and two full-time captains make up the full-time staffing with the assistance of a part-time fire department administrative assistant. The paid-on-call division consists of 45 firefighters who respond to calls when available. There are two stations, one in each city.
One of the most traditional fire departments in Minnesota, the Anoka Fire Department was established in 1857 as the Protection Hook and Ladder Company. The Anoka-Champlin Fire Department is distinguished by its white vehicles, a nod to the days when Anoka firefighters used white horses to pull their steam-drawn engines.